Thursday, October 31, 2019

Toshiba EM925A5A-BS Microwave Oven with Sound On/Off ECO Mode and LED Lighting, 0.9 Cu.ft, Black Stainless



Elegant looking microwave that does a great job

I was "secretly" glad our old microwave finally gave out. I hated that thing with its awkward and noisy pus- button door release that made such a loud sound opening and closing. Which brings me to the other thing I hated--the beeping when cooking was done. We'd stand there, ready to hit the Stop button, just to avoid the beeping. One of the main reasons I chose this microwave is you can program it NOT TO BEEP. This is the greatest option EVER! Also, with the handled door, one can quietly close and open without disturbing anyone. The important thing, if you're wondering how the oven actually works, it does cook up everything quite nicely. This oven is on the small size of the spectrum of sizes, but not too small. We needed to have it fit a built-in shelf so we're bound by the space requirement, but the power level is very good for the size. I absolutely love this microwave!

Love both the look and operation

[UPDATE at end] I've owned many microwaves, was the first person I know to buy one, in 1974. People use to come over to try it, a modern marvel. And wonder of wonders, this is the only other microwave since that original one (a Gaffers and Sattler) that explains in the manual how to make creative use of aluminum foil in the microwave! I didn't know you could still do that. The purchase was worth it for that knowledge alone (I was an old hand at using foil- on the wings of chickens, with rolls, bread, things that cook too quickly compared to other parts of the meal). No scrimping on the packaging- it arrived in a heavy-weight box within a box and encased in styrofoam, so no chance of dents or damage, yet easy to unpack.

Aesthetically I LOVE this. I fancy it has a chunky retro mid-century look to it, like what a food replicator looked like on the original Enterprise. I don't have the best eyesight and the buttons are big and clearly labeled- can see them without my glasses. Ditto with the digital display, bright green; the light inside is bright too. The handle is thick and solid in your hand, pleases me every time I use it (haven't had a microwave in years with an actual handle, SO much better, feels decisive, purposeful, kinesthetically pleasing). The operation is intuitive (for the most part) and basic, well-thought-out, satisfying. I'm coming from a fancy Panasonic unit with inverter technology that I was in love with, but as is apparently common with Panasonic microwaves it died after a few months. It's a trade-off- I much prefer the look and operation of this (for example, the Panasonic had no number pad) but it takes slightly longer to cook, but that's okay.

Being able to turn the sound off is a blessing. I'm living in my vintage travel trailer at the moment and have two little finches that don't need to be awakened at all hours (they answer the beeps with chirps). Relatedly the door makes a rather loud but not unpleasant thunk when closed normally, but it can also be closed gently, more quietly when desired- after a week it's already second nature to me. The microwave when running is quieter than most. Also wanted to say I nearly sent this back because the power level button didn't work. What an idiot- when all else fails read the manual. You change the power level AFTER you enter the cooking time.

So far I love this thing, and like the many other Toshiba products I've owned over the years, hope it lasts a good long time. (After my experience with the short-lived Panasonic I got the three-year warranty- a bargain at $6.) But if it dies or malfunctions I'll update this review. Thank-you Toshiba!

UPDATE: I had a senior moment and forgot to put the frozen lasagna in the microwave. I manually set it for seven minutes and pressed start. I was doing other things in the kitchen and about five minutes in the microwave went dead. No display, no power, nothing. It was HOT inside. Oh great, I blew a fuse or WORSE, I thought. I couldn't find the owner's manual. I tried unplugging it, plugging it back in, nothing. No re-set button on the back. SO disgusted with myself. Thought I was going to have to have it serviced or replaced. About 15 minutes later it came back to life, after it cooled off, good as new. Thank-you Toshiba!!

Great microwave! Heats stuff fast

Great microwave! Heats stuff fast. Others love that you can turn the beep off. Personally I need the beeping because I tend to wander off. I love that you can turn the idle power off. The only thing that I'm not crazy about is that you have to pull the handle to open the door, rather than a button to push that releases and pops the door open. The latch is secure, so when you pull it would not be hard for it to slide enough to drop off the edge of the counter. But that's minor compared to everything else, including the price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home